1. What made you want to become a Makeup Artist?
Kevyn Aucoin’s ‘Making Faces‘ book, the brown tonals of the 90’s, and growing up in SoCal with cholas who melted their pencils that they used for eyebrows, lips, and eyes.
2. What has been the most memorable moment of your career?
That’s tough! There has been many! I have to say being in Mariah Carey’s house in NYC (yes, the one from cribs) to do her makeup a few times was an out-of-body, full-circle moment for me. I grew up with her as a biracial soundtrack to my life (Instagram has my receipts). She is SO sweet and kind and beautiful without any makeup.
3. If you did something different for a living, what would it be?
I would absolutely work with animals. I would probably have dreadlocks, more tattoos and work at an animal sanctuary somewhere outside the U.S.
4. What is your personal mantra?
Fuck what ya heard.
5. What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
I used to train Hunter Jumpers (horses) in SoCal and won ribbons in Gymkhana competitions
6. Ideal Dinner party? Dead or Alive.
Whitney Houston, Cookie Tookie, Jason Mamoa, Otzi the Iceman , and Dr. Simon Ourian.
7. If you could only choose one song to play every time you walked into a room for the rest of your life, what would it be?
‘THROB’ by Janet Jackson
Photography by Peggy Gertner